Wednesday, May 25, 2005

...and I said what about a necklace from Tiffany’s?

Going to the Chapel ...

I definitely fell asleep last night before the White Sox won in 2-1 in extra innings. I can’t complain though, because I have not been able to fall asleep lately.

I (the Kanticides) am still in 1st place in my Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball league.

My cousin just told me that my other (23-year-old) cousin is getting engaged. I must say that I am a bit jealous. I stress “bit”. I’m not particularly jealous of per se, but of the whole idea of getting it “out of the way”. Anyway, unnamed cousin was taking pictures of the engagement rings of everyone who was at a family gathering I missed this weekend. I think it was to be sure that hers was bigger. She is marrying her on-again-off-again multi-millionaire boyfriend with whom she breaks up multiple times per year. Which reminds me…

Last night I was talking to my friend Craig from Cleveland on instant messenger; I asked him if he wanted to get married eventually and he said “yes, of course”. That really surprised me, but it got me thinking about marriage as a custom. Why should you have to get married to have kids? I could easily raise a child more efficiently alone than with someone to whom I am married that doesn’t give a shit. He’d just make it more difficult.

Also, should love be the main reason to marry someone? I would not have a difficult time marrying a person for whom I only had tepid feelings. Making each other happy is more important. I used Craig’s parents as an example as they have been married for many years. I wondered if Craig’s mother would be capable of loving the man in line in front of her at the grocery store more than she loves her husband. It is possible, isn’t it? Married people don’t know because they are fixed in a binding legal contract with each other.

My mother and father were miserable together. Though his girlfriend and my father are now “on the outs”, as he says, he was much happier with her than with my mom. Should they have stayed married even though they disliked each other? Or better yet, should they have gotten married in the first place? How does one measure another’s worthiness of being capable of staying in a solid, helpful, cooperative marriage?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment